Two students talking outside of coffee shop on the North Campus.


Phone: 716-645-5698

Hours: M - TH: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

F: 10:00 am - 4:30 pm


Walk in Assistance:
Student Response Center
232 Capen Hall, North Campus
M - F, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Undergraduate Leave of Absence

You may request a Leave of Absence for one or two semesters from your enrollment at the university. Securing a Leave of Absence will preserve your status as of the time you begin your leave and will eliminate any re-application process or paperwork when you return. You will also have access to your UB email during this time.

Eligibility Criteria

You must possess a UB GPA of 2.0 or above and have no disciplinary checkstops. Additionally, students convicted of felonies while enrolled at UB are not eligible for a leave of absence. Students who are ineligible for a Leave of Absence, but who leave UB, must complete an Admissions Re-Entry Form (PDF) should they wish to return.


You must formally apply for a Leave of Absence (PDF) and have it approved by your advisor, after which it will be coded on the computer system (to hold your place and provide easy re-entry at the end of your leave period). You should apply for a leave as early as possible before the semester you wish to begin your leave. The last date to apply for a Leave of Absence is the seventh day of classes of the first term you are requesting your leave. This includes Saturday, but does not count Sundays or holidays. Please refer to the Student Calendars on this website for the exact deadline dates.

Just prior to your planned leave semester, you should meet with your advisor, especially if you intend to later transfer course credits to UB. If you attend other colleges or universities during your leave period, you must have an official transcript forwarded to UB within 6 weeks of your return. The credits will be evaluated as transfer credit. Use TAURUS to see if courses taken at other institutions will articulate to specific UB courses.

Students can choose to return early from their Leave of Absence. The student or their advisor should send an e-mail to HUB-TERM-LIST@LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU that contains the student's name, person number and semester they would like to return. The student will then have their record updated and will be assigned an enrollment window.

If you need to extend your Leave of Absence beyond the maximum two semesters, you will need to formally request this from an advisor.

Students requesting a Leave of Absence because of military service that is expected to be longer than 4 semesters must present a copy of their military orders along with the Leave of Absence form.

No leaves of absence can be approved retroactively. If you left the university and did not have an official leave of absence or exceed the period approved for your leave, you will need to complete a Re-Entry Form (PDF) with the Office of Admissions. And, upon readmission, you will be obligated to follow new academic policies and will have to re-apply to your academic major department.

Students convicted of felonies during their UB enrollment are not eligible for a leave. These students must apply for readmission using the Admissions Re-Entry Form (PDF), and must comply with all procedures stipulated by the University Screening Committee for Judicial Concerns.

Note for Students Participating in Study Abroad Programs: In addition to meeting with an academic advisor, you must register with the Study Abroad Office, 210 Talbert Hall, even if you are not participating in a UB or SUNY-sponsored program.

Note for International Students: If you are seeking a Leave of Absence, you must meet with a staff member from International Student and Scholar Services, 210 Talbert Hall.

Last updated: April 21, 2017 8:34 am EST