M-TH: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Walk-in Assistance at 1Capen, North Campus.
Undergraduate Leave of Absence—Domestic Students
Filing a Leave of Absence
You may request a Leave of Absence (LOA) for one or two terms (not including summer) from your enrollment at the university, or the total period of active duty for those called to active military service. A total of four (4) terms of approved leave are allowed during an undergraduate career. Securing a LOA will preserve your status as of the time you begin your leave and will eliminate any re-application process or paperwork when you return. It will also keep your UB email account active for the entire length of your leave.
Please note: If you are a Title IV loan recipient and fail to return from a LOA, your grace period for your Title IV program loan might become exhausted. Please consult with a financial aid advisor if you have any questions regarding repayment of Title IV loans (e.g. Federal Stafford and Federal Perkins Loans).
Leave of Absence Criteria
- You may not have any disciplinary holds on your record.
- You must possess a UB GPA of 2.000 or more.
- Students convicted of felonies while enrolled at UB are not eligible for a LOA.
- First semester students with all W or R grades are eligible for a LOA beginning the following semester.
- The last date to apply for a LOA is the last day of the first term you are requesting your leave. This includes Saturdays, but not Sundays or holidays. You should apply for a LOA as early as possible before the term during which you wish to begin your leave.
- You should meet with your academic advisor just prior to your leave and review the Not Returning to UB Checklist. Meeting with your advisor is especially important if you intend to later transfer course credits to UB.
- If you attend another college or university during your leave period, you must have an official transcript forwarded to UB within 6 weeks of your return. Transfer credits will be evaluated. Use TAURUS to see if courses taken at other institutions will be accepted as UB credit.
- Students wishing to return early from a LOA can email HUB-TERM-LIST@LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU to have their record updated an enrollment appointment assigned.
- Students requesting a LOA due to military service must attach a copy of their orders with the leave request if the leave is to exceed 4 semesters.
- Students will need submit written a request to their academic advisor if they need to extend their LOA beyond the maximum two terms, or beyond the approved duration of US military service.
- LOAs cannot be approved retroactively. If you leave the university and do not have an approved LOA, or if you exceed the period approved for your LOA, you will need to fill out a Reentry Form with the Office of Admissions and reapply to your major.
- International students must speak to an advisor in International Student Services before requesting a LOA.
- Students participating in study abroad must register with Study Abroad Programs before filing a LOA.
Undergraduate Leave of Absence Request
Fields marked with an asterisk * are required.
Last updated: January 10, 2023 12:50 pm EST