The Academic Info You Need to Know!
Get the information and resources you need for making decisions to support your academic success this semester.
M - TH: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Walk in Assistance:
1Capen, North Campus
Mid-Semester Review Process
At the midpoint of each term, instructors indicate to undergraduate students how they are progressing in their courses by providing each student with a mid-term grade. To see these evaluations, students must go to their HUB Student Center, click on the "Grades/Awards" tile, then click on the term. If no evaluation is listed for a course, the instructor was unable to provide the information, and the student should contact them directly for feedback.
These are not final grades nor do they predict final grades. However, an “MU” (midterm unsatisfactory) or any grade below a “C” means there may be concerns about:
- Inadequate preparation for class
- Study skills
- Adjustment issues
- Poor performance on tests
Actions a Student Should Take
If a student receives an “MU” (midterm unsatisfactory) or any grade below a “C” they should:
- See the instructor during posted office hours or make an appointment to discuss the course, obtain help, and clarify issues of concern.
- Speak with an academic advisor to develop strategies to improve academically. A full list of advisement offices can be viewed at Undergraduate Academic Advisement website.
- Seek tutoring and academic support for your courses and learn strategies for success.
Resigning from a Course
If a student plans to resign (R) from a course, they should consult with an advisor to ensure they understand the consequences. For example, they should:
- Verify that they don’t have any holds which can stop them from being able to resign.
- Review the Course Enrollment Control Policy since a later repeat registration in a course, including a resigned course, may be limited.
- Realize that resignations may impact (1) financial aid; (2) medical insurance eligibility; (3) sequence of required courses; and/or (4) time to graduation.
The educational progress relies on good performance in class. The midterm review process encourages an opportunity for students to talk with their instructors, see their advisor, and to use the services UB has to offer. Mid-semester evaluation followed by positive steps can help students achieve academic success.
Last updated: December 10, 2020 11:17 am EST