Photo of UB's Greiner Hall resident's dormitory.


Phone: 716-645-5698
M-TH: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Contact us online.

Fax: 716-645-7762

Walk-in Assistance at 1Capen, North Campus.

NYS Residency Required Documentation - Undergraduate Non-Degree Programs

Proof of a New York State (NYS) permanent domicile is demonstrated by documents that support an applicant's contention that their permanent home is located in New York State for purposes other than education.

Submitted Document Requirements

Any document submitted for NYS residency:

  • Must have the student's full name, issue/effective date and NYS address legible on all three documents.
  • Must show all pages attached (e.g., if the document has a page counter such as "Page 1/4", all four pages must be submitted).
  • Can have personally identifiable information redacted (social security number, bank account number, etc.). However, documents must have the student's name, issue/effective date and NYS address visible for NYS residency.
  • Must be issued at least 12 months prior to the semester start date (e.g., if admitted in the spring or fall of 2020, documents must be issued on or before Jan. 31, 2019, or Aug. 31, 2019, respectively).
  • Must have a marriage certificate attached if the student's maiden name is shown in the document. Both the document and marriage certificate will only count as one document for NYS residency.

Options For Meeting Document Requirements

Option #1: High School Transcript. Non-resident students who attended a NYS high school for two or more years, graduated and applied for admission to the university within five years of receiving a NYS high school diploma; applicable GED also accepted.

Option #2: Three documents from the following list are required as proof of NYS residency.

  1. Proof of Ownership of New York State Real Property:
    1. Ownership of a house must be in the student's name with the effective date 12 months prior to the semester start date.
    2. If the Deed is in the spouse's name, the student must also submit a marriage certificate.
  2. Residential Lease for Property in New York State:
    1. Must be signed and dated by both landlord and tenant (student).
    2. If the lease is in the spouse's name, student must also submit a marriage certificate.
    3. The NYS property address must be listed on the lease.
    4. Must include term or effective dates, or state "month to month" rent.
    5. If expired prior to the semester start date, the student must also provide the renewal lease to demonstrate intent to stay in NYS. Both expired and renewal lease count as one document.
    6. UB-leased apartments on university property are considered permanent housing (e.g., Creekside Village, Hadley Village, South Lake Village, Flint Village, and Flickinger Court).
    7. Campus residence halls are not considered permanent housing.
    8. Hotels, motels and PO boxes are not considered fixed, permanent housing.
  3. New York State Driver's License or New York State Identification Card:
    1. Must list student's permanent housing New York State address (see Document 2 above).
    2. Must be valid and issued at least 12 months prior to the semester start date.
    3. Must be an image or scanned copy of a physical license/ID card, paper interim copies are not accepted.
  4. Utility and/or Service Statements:
    1. Cannot be screenshots of mobile apps; document must be a regular printed statement.
    2. Cannot be any UB-related service statements, such as campus housing or student loans issued by UB.
    3. Must be from different companies when submitting more than one service/utility statement.
    4. Examples not limited to:
      • Bank - Credit/debit/loan statements.
      • Utility - Gas/electric/water/phone.
      • Insurance - Homeowners/renters/automobile.
  5. New York State Motor Vehicle Registration:
    1. Must be in the student's name and NYS address.
    2. Must be issued at least 12 months prior to the semester start date (see example above).
  6. New York State Income Tax Returns:
    1. NYS IT-201 State Tax Return for residents:
      • Must be the most recent completed tax year.
      • If the student is claimed as a dependent, the student's name must be on the dependent section on Box H.
      • Must be signed and dated at the bottom right corner on Page 4 in the section "Taxpayer(s) must sign here," even if a preparer has signed it.
    2. NYS IT-203 Non-resident or part-year resident tax return form:
      • Must be the most recent completed tax year.
      • Box 1G must have the date moved to New York to determine if it is 12 months prior to the semester start date.
  7. New York State Voter Registration Card:
    1. Must be dated within one year of enrollment.
  8. New York State Public Assistance:
    1. Must have a receipt of public assistance from New York State or a city, county, or municipal agency in New York State (ex., Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) certification).

Document's Not Meeting Requirements

The following documents are NOT accepted for NYS residency:

  • Department of the Treasury (DT) Form 1040.
  • Multiple service/utility statements with different statement dates from the same company.
  • IT-203 with Box 1H checked as "No."
  • Pay stubs or bank checks.
  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card.
  • Birth Certificate.
  • W-2 tax form.
  • "Contract Statements" showing utilities, letters from the rental/leasing company, and letters from the landlord (stating that utilities are included in your agreement).
  • Documents related to the university, such as loan statements or billing statements.

Active/reserve, veterans, and dependents of service members are eligible for expedited NYS in-state Tuition. Eligible students may complete the Residency Application for New York State Tuition Purposes - Military form.

More information regarding policy and eligibility requirements for active duty military as well as veterans and dependents can be found on the Student Accounts website.

Note: All non-degree-seeking students will be billed out-of-state tuition until NYS Residency Documents have been provided to the Office of the Registrar for review.

All issues regarding residency must be resolved by the first day of classes. Non-degree students admitted two weeks before the first day of classes have until the Drop/Add deadline to comply. Documents must support the claim to have resided in New York State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the application term. Documents can be uploaded through your Applicant Portal.

Last updated: February 29, 2024 10:18 am EST