Student working on his laptop in the Student Union.


Phone: 716-645-5698

Hours: M - TH: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

F: 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Walk in Assistance:
1Capen, North Campus
M - F, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Students may request to have official transcripts of their UB academic work sent to themselves or designated third parties. Beginning June 20, 2011, all students enrolled in coursework at UB after January 1, 2011 (spring 2011 semester) must request these transcripts in their HUB Student Center. If additional documentation (i.e., AMCAS, PharmCAS, Medical or Law School application forms, etc.) is required to be submitted concurrently with your transcript, please email those forms to

Students whose last enrollment was prior to Jan. 1, 2011 (fall 2010 semester) should continue to use the Transcript Request Form (PDF). Forms may be faxed, mailed or dropped off at 1Capen.

Your academic transcript is comprised of all credit-bearing coursework you attempted or completed at UB as well as any degree(s) conferred. The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining academic records for all students in the undergraduate, graduate, and pharmacy careers.

University at Buffalo transcripts contain a record of all courses, grades and degrees obtained from the University at Buffalo at the undergraduate and graduate level, if applicable. Transcripts are a permanent, irrevocable record of all courses, credits, and final grades accumulated through the University at Buffalo by the individual student.

Records for the schools of Law, Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, and Dental Medicine are maintained in those schools. If you are a current or former Law, Medical, or Dental student, contact your respective school to obtain academic transcripts.

In December 2003, approval was granted to add a semester transcript fee as a component to the Comprehensive Fee. This approval was granted after full consultation with students. Beginning spring 2004, all enrolled students are charged a $5 per semester transcript fee with a $60 per student cap. This replaces the previous policy whereby students were charged a fee per transcript.

Transcripts cannot be faxed or sent electronically.

Unofficial copies of transcripts are not available.

Financial Service Indicators/Holds and Transcript Release

We are not permitted to provide transcript services to any current or former student who owes money to the University (tuition/fees, penalties, parking fines, library fines, telephone charges, etc) as designated by the service indicator codes below. Additionally, we cannot release transcripts for students whose names appear on the NYS Student Loan Service Center Loan Default list.

Official transcripts will not be released for students who have university financial obligations, indicated by BAG (No Access to My Account Info), BCA (No Access to My Account Info), BIL (Unpaid Bill), BJD (No Access to My Account Info), BNT (No Access to My Account Info), BPW (No Access to My Account Info), BWO (No Access to My Account Info), DEN (Dental Medicine), FIN (Department Financial Obligation), ILN (Institutional Loan Issue), LAW (Law School), and PAR (Parking Ticket) Service Indicators.

In-Person Requests for Transcripts

Visit 1Capen during regular hours (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) for assistance. You will need to show your ID card or other photo identification. A student copy of a transcript will be printed on official transcript paper while you wait (unless your record contains financial service indicators). Please note that transcripts cannot be released to anyone other than the student.

Mail and Fax Requests for Transcripts

Requests sent to us via the US Postal Service generally take five (5) days to reach our office. They are processed as soon as we receive them and leave the university by return mail within one to two days.

Official transcripts are typically mailed within two business days from when the request is received, unless you request it to be held for semester grades or a degree conferral. During peak times (the beginning and end of each semester), the turnaround time can be from five to seven business days.

Expedited Requests

We are only able to send expediated transcript requests via UPS. Please note that UPS will not deliver to P.O. Boxes

If you have an urgent request for an official transcript, come directly to 1Capen and describe your situation. We can try to help you meet your deadline, including sending your transcript by UPS delivery service if you pre-pay for the shipment. Please note, we cannot guarantee same-day processing, even if a UPS label is provided.

The expedited request option is also available in HUB Self-Service for students enrolled during spring 2011 or later. All other students can select the expedited request option on the Transcript Request Form (PDF).

To purchase a shipping label, you can visit any UPS store, or go to the UPS website. Please view our instructions on filling out your prepaid UPS label (PDF).

Once purchased, please email your prepaid UPS shipping label to or fax it to 716-645-7762. Be sure to include your UB person number and/or date of birth on all communications.

Request for Records of Deceased Students

In the event of a student's passing, the University at Buffalo considers the deceased student's next of kin to be the owner of the record. Please view our policies and procedures for additional information on requesting records of deceased students.


Students may need to apostille (PDF) or legalize their transcript and/or diploma for use in a foreign country. The Office of the Registrar assists students with this process by notarizing the document, and coordinating with the offices of the Erie County Clerk and New York State Secretary of State to complete the apostille. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for additional information on completing an apostille for your transcript and/or diploma.

Last updated: June 20, 2018 10:30 am EST