Typical UB class lecture.


Phone: 716-645-5698
M-TH: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Contact us online.

Fax: 716-645-7762

Walk-in Assistance at 1Capen, North Campus.

F-Grade Reporting

Faculty must report academic participation when assigning a failing (F) grade. Faculty will select from three failure options that show how a student participated in class(es). Students receiving a failing grade will see one of the following on their academic record:

Academic Participation in Classes

When faculty determine which F grade to assign, they will consider when students participated in any academically related class activities. These activities are defined by federal policy and include any of the following:

Academically related class activities do not include activities where a student may be present but not academically engaged. Examples include:


Why is academic participation being reported?

Your level of participation in a class may impact your federal or state financial aid. A higher level of reported participation in your classes gives you a better opportunity to keep any financial aid you’ve been awarded. Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to a financial aid advisor.

The U.S. Department of Education requires institutions to confirm that financial aid recipients meet the following criteria: (1) began participation in all courses for which they received federal financial aid, and (2) for those who fail to earn a passing grade, confirmation that the student completed the semester or the last date of participation if they did not complete the semester.

Because a student could be a financial aid applicant at any point during the academic year, we must collect this information for all students so that financial aid eligibility can be accurately determined. Participation information provided by faculty is critical to this process.

What if I disagree with the participation reported by my faculty member?

If you believe there has been an error in the grade assigned by your faculty member, you should contact them directly to discuss your concerns.

How do I know the 60% point of the semester?

Standard 60% dates will be available on the Office of the Registrar website with other important dates for the semester.

I take remote classes. How do I show I participated?

In a remote learning setting, logging in to a class is not enough to show you participated in academically related class activities. You need to have engaged with the course content in some way, such as submitted an assignment, contributed academic content to an online discussion, or contacted your faculty member to ask a course-related question in order for them to be able to report your participation in class(es).

Last updated: June 07, 2023 8:48 am EST