Students walking on UB's North Campus near the Student Union.


Phone: 716-645-5698
M-TH: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Contact us online.

Fax: 716-645-7762

Walk-in Assistance at 1Capen, North Campus.

Academic Withdrawal from University Coursework

What is an academic withdrawal?

An academic withdrawal is a formal process available to students who experience events outside of their control that impact their ability to perform academically. This can include, but is not limited to a significant medical issue, the death of an immediate family member, or active military service. If approved, an academic withdrawal replaces all grades in a given term to W. An academic withdrawal can be requested by a student after the drop/add period.

What happens when I withdraw?

Withdrawing from courses can affect your graduation date, since you may need to retake courses with W grades in future terms.

Withdrawal can also impact your financial aid package (including TAP, PELL, loans, and scholarship). Your financial aid advisor will be able to assist you with questions related to this topic.

Students requesting an Academic Withdrawal should also consider if a Leave of Absence or other change to their enrollment status would be a better option for their situation.

If you hold an F-1 or J-1 student visa, an Academic Withdrawal may have a negative impact on your immigration status. F-1/J-1 students are required to speak to an advisor in International Student Services before submitting an application for Academic Withdrawal.

Steps to Request an Academic Withdrawal

Consult with your academic advisor or academic department to discuss the appropriate procedures and the required justification and documentation needed to request an academic withdrawal (grade of W).

Academic withdrawals are approved only in circumstances where impact to academic performance due to a personal or immediate-family medical event, disability, death or active military service is documented sufficiently. In a policy approved by the Faculty Senate, requests for academic withdrawal that are based upon extraordinary circumstances are only considered for all the registered courses in a given semester. Requests for academic withdrawal for select courses in a given semester will not be approved.

Requests for academic withdrawal can only be approved if submitted within one semester of the event. If you have already received a semester of academic withdrawals due to an ongoing medical event, you may not receive approval for a subsequent semester. However, if you have received an academic withdrawal because of one medical event and then a different medical event occurs, such circumstances will be considered.

Special Note: Beginning on the seventh day of classes (fall and spring semester) until the end of the 11th week of classes, a student can resign a course(s) through the HUB Student Center. The course is graded with an R, which remains on the transcript as a neutral indicator of the action. Summer, winter and nonstandard sessions have course-specific deadlines to make changes to a course(s).

Last updated: May 12, 2021 11:31 am EST