M - TH: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Walk in Assistance:
1Capen, North Campus
M - F, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Diplomas are mailed approximately six (6) weeks after the conferral of your degree and contain the student’s name, academic plan, degree type (BA, MA, etc.), conferral date, name of the university (State University of New York at Buffalo) and the current diploma design. UB diplomas are printed by a nationally prominent firm on high-quality paper with an engraved UB seal.
- Diplomas contain your name as it appears on your student record (Please see: name on file). Additions of accent marks or upper and lower case letters must be requested before your conferral date.
- The academic plan title that will be used is the State Education Department approved plan title only. For undergraduate programs, this will include the major plan only. The diploma will not include minors. Diplomas for students in Special Studies programs will read “Special Studies.” Special Studies Proposal titles are included on the transcript.
- Diplomas are mailed to the permanent address listed on your student record. If you would like to have it sent to an address other than your permanent address on file, please provide a UPS shipping label prior to your conferral date.
- Diplomas are mailed via the United States Postal Service and do not contain tracking information. Students have the option to provide a UPS Shipping label, prior to their conferral date, if they would like to have tracking information.
- To purchase a shipping label, you can visit any UPS store, or go to the UPS website. Please view our instructions on filling out your prepaid UPS label (PDF).
- Once purchased, please email your prepaid UPS shipping label to email@example.com or fax it to 716-645-7762. Be sure to include your UB person number on all communications.
- The diploma is 9.75" X 12.5"
- Diplomas are not mailed if you have an outstanding financial obligation to the university. Once you clear the financial obligation, you must notify the Office of the Registrar.
- Diplomas are held for one year after the conferral date. After that, you will need a replacement diploma.
For replacement of your UB undergraduate, graduate or law school diploma, please follow the guidelines below. (To request a Medical School diploma, contact the Medical Education office at 716-829-2802. To request a Dental Medicine diploma, contact the Dental Student Affairs Office at 716-829-2839.)
- Confirm that your degree has been conferred and that you do not have any financial holds by contacting us at 716-645-5698 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If your degree has not been conferred, or if you have any financial holds, your diploma request will not be processed.
- Start the replacement diploma request.
- The charge per diploma is $10.00 in U.S. funds.
- The diploma request is a two-part process — both your payment and the Replacement Diploma Form must be completed before your order is processed.
- To request a Medical School diploma, contact the Medical Education office at 716-829-2802.
- To request a Dental Medicine diploma, contact the Dental Student Affairs Office at 716-829-2839.
- If you are requesting a new diploma because your name has changed, please complete and submit the Student Name Change form (PDF) along with required documentation.
- Please allow two (2) weeks for the diploma order to be received in our office and to be mailed in a protective envelope.
- All replacement diplomas reflect the current diploma design and signatures.
- Please refer to the shipping information above for information on shipping replacement diplomas.
Request for Records of Deceased Students
In the event of a student’s passing, the University at Buffalo considers the deceased student’s next of kin to be the owner of the record. Please view our policies and procedures for additional information on requesting records of deceased students (PDF).
Students may need to apostille (PDF) or legalize their transcript and/or diploma for use in a foreign country. The Office of the Registrar assists students with this process by notarizing the document and coordinating with the offices of the Erie County Clerk and New York State Secretary of State to complete the apostille. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for additional information on completing an apostille for your transcript and/or diploma.
Last updated: January 07, 2019 5:41 pm EST