M-TH: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Walk-in Assistance at 1Capen, North Campus.
Diploma Name Guidance
Diplomas are printed using the legal name we have on file for you. If you wish to update your legal name, you can complete the Student Name Change Form and attach copies of approved documentation.
Electing to use a Preferred Diploma Name
It is recommended that the name on your diploma matches your official, legal name. However, you may request a preferred/chosen first and middle name to be printed in lieu of your legal name.
In order for your paper and electronic diploma to be printed with a preferred or chosen name, a “Pref’d/Chosen Diploma Name” type must be added in your HUB Student Center record. This is necessary for future non-third party verification to take place.
To request a preferred diploma name, please send an email to email@example.com and include your UB person number. All requests must be received prior to your conferral date.
- Only first and middle preferred/chosen names will be considered. Last name must match your legal last name. Confirmation of your preferred diploma name is viewable as “Pref’d/Chosen Diploma” name in the profile tile of your HUB Student Center.
- If you have a Pref’d/Chosen Diploma name type in HUB, that name will be printed on all diplomas—this conferral and beyond.
- If you no longer want a preferred diploma name printed, you must request to remove your Pref’d/Chosen Diploma Name prior to your conferral date by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you decide to change the name on your diploma after your conferral date, you will be required to request and pay for a replacement diploma using the Additional Diploma Order Form.
Additional diplomas: Preferred Diploma Name and your Legal Name
If you would like to have a diploma with your legal name and a diploma with a preferred name, you may request to purchase an additional diploma after your degree has been conferred and your initial diploma has been ordered.
- If you are requesting an additional certified electronic diploma only, you may submit your request to email@example.com. Include the name you would like printed and your UB person number.
Important Items to Consider
Third parties using the preferred/chosen name appearing on your diploma will not be able to verify your degree through the National Student Clearinghouse because of name mismatch. Enrollment/degree verification is provided using your full legal name.
Graduates Planning to Live or Work Abroad
The University at Buffalo considers the diploma to be a ceremonial document. Some countries may require your diploma (in conjunction with your official transcript) for various legal, immigration, and employment purposes. Choosing to print a preferred/chosen name on your diploma may result in unforeseen complications due to discrepancy between your diploma and other documents (e.g., transcripts, passport, birth certificates, etc.) that contain your primary (i.e., legal) name. To avoid such complications, we recommend printing your primary name on your diploma if you plan to live, study, work outside of the United States.
Graduates of Professional Schools (Medicine, Dental, Law, Nursing, etc.)
Before opting to print your preferred/chosen name on your diploma, please take into consideration that professional licensing requirements require you to use your legal name. For example, State Bar application and licensure and federal employment/guidelines require the use of the legal name. Using your preferred name on your diploma may result in rejection, delay, scrutiny, and/or requirements for additional proof of identification associated with any application for employment, licensure, credentialing, visa application, and/or other processes that require verification of your education records.
Diploma apostille can only be provided when using your legal full name.
Last updated: May 01, 2023 4:02 pm EST