M-TH: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Walk-in Assistance at 1Capen, North Campus.
Student Social Security Numbers
Social Security Number Change
As either a current or a former student, you may need to add or update your social security number (SSN) in your file. If you applied to UB without including your SSN in your file, you must add it to your financial aid file in order to receive your aid package. If you change your social security number, we must change all of your records to reflect the new number. After we do that, your UB financial records will carry only that new number.
In order to effect a social security number change, you will need to complete a Social Security/Individual Taxpayer ID Number Update Form (PDF) and provide documentation that shows your new social security number.
If you are able to visit the 1Capen, we recommend that you bring your original documents and complete the request in person. If this is not possible, print the change form, attach notarized copies of your documentation, and mail the information to the address below.
Email for Social Security Number Addition or Verification
Annual Social Security Number (SSN)/Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Solicitation
To comply with Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code, the Office of the Registrar, in conjunction with the Office of Student Accounts, will send a communication to current and some former student UB email addresses asking them to take specific action regarding their SSNs/ITINs. Individuals will typically receive these communications once per year, in accordance with IRS regulations. Depending on the status of the student’s SSN/ITIN in our system, this communication will ask the recipient to do one of the following:
- Provide his/her SSN or ITIN by completing and submitting our modified W-9(S) form (PDF).
- Students will be asked to provide the university with their SSN or ITIN if we do not have a number on record.
- Correct his/her SSN or ITIN by completing and submitting our modified W-9(S) form (PDF).
- Students will be asked to correct his/her SSN or ITIN if the university has reason to believe that the number on file is incorrect or otherwise invalid.
- Verifying his/her SSN or ITIN on file in the HUB Student Center.
- A student should check the SSN/ITIN on file in his/her HUB Student Center. If the number listed in HUB is accurate, then no further action is required.
Please note that the Office of the Registrar cannot accept W-9(S) forms via email. All documentation including a SSN or ITIN must be mailed, faxed, or dropped off in person as per the instructions on the form. Any emails received that include an SSN or ITIN will be deleted.
Receipt of these communications constitutes the university’s fulfillment to notify students for federal tax reporting compliance purposes. Students failing to furnish their SSN or correct name may be subject to individual penalties by the IRS.
If you have any questions regarding the IRS regulations mentioned above, or about 1098-T statements, please contact the Office of Student Accounts or call 716-645-1800.
If you have any questions regarding the communication you receive, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 716-645-5698 or at email@example.com.
Last updated: September 29, 2021 4:07 pm EST