Baird Point on UB's North Campus.


Phone: 716-645-5698

Hours: M - TH: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

F: 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Walk in Assistance:
1Capen, North Campus
M - F, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Taking Classes as a Non-Degree Seeking Student

A non-degree seeking student is someone who is enrolled on a semester-by-semester or course-by-course basis and has not been accepted as a regular student pursuing a degree.

Follow these steps to enroll in UB classes as a non-degree seeking student:

Step 1: Apply Here

You must submit an undergraduate or graduate non-degree seeking form (via GrADMIT), or international non-degree seeking form prior to enrollment. Please select your student group to find out more information and your non-degree seeking student form.

Step 2: Provide Immunization Information

Provide your immunization information to UB if you will be enrolling for 6 or more credits in the fall, spring or summer semester.

  • New York State law requires that students supply information about immunizations prior to enrolling in classes if they are enrolling for six (6) or more credits in their first term. We encourage you to submit your immunization information early to Student Health Services! You will not be able to enroll until your immunization information has been processed.
  • Winter Session does not have an immunization requirement.
  • Request an immunization waiver of the measles, mumps, rubella immunization requirement for one semester if you are a new non-degree student taking fewer than six credit hours.

Step 3: Obtain and Activate your UBITName

  • Your UBITName and password will be required to access many different university resources, including your personal student account, which you will use for enrollment. Once your application for non-degree seeking student status has been approved, UB will assign you a UBITName and temporary, single-use password. You will need both your UBITName and temporary, single-use password to enroll.
  • Once your application has been approved and processed, you will receive an email with your single use password to log into HUB. You will need to log back into your application (GrAdMIT) to obtain your UBITName.

If you have previously applied to or attended UB, you will use your existing username and password to log into HUB. If you do not remember your username and password, contact the CIT Help Desk. Be prepared to answer several security questions to verify your identity. Once your identity is confirmed, UBIT Help Desk Staff will assist you with your login information.

Do you already have your UBITName and temporary, single-use password? Now, you can answer a few security questions to activate your UBITName. Once activated, you can begin using your UBITName to access UB’s online services.

Step 4: Review Non-degree Academic Policies

Undergraduate Students

  • A non-degree seeking undergraduate student must have earned either a high school diploma or a general education development (GED) certificate prior to enrolling in any academic year course. The university reserves the right to validate this information at any time and, if found fraudulent, to take necessary actions.
  • A non-degree seeking undergraduate student shall attain and maintain at least a 2.0 UB grade point average after attempting nine or more undergraduate credit hours. At most three courses taken on a satisfactory-unsatisfactory basis (grades of “S” or “U”) shall have grades of “U”.
  • A non-degree undergraduate seeking student may enroll for a maximum number of credits as follows:
Semester/Time Period Maximum number of credits
Fall or Spring 9
Winter 5
Single Summer Session 8
Two Overlapping Summer Sessions 11
Total Summer Session 14
Maximum Number of Credits 30
  • A non-degree seeking student may register for fall or spring semester courses on a space available basis beginning August 1st for fall semesters and December 1st for spring semesters. Please check our summer and winter pages to see when enrollment begins.
  • An undergraduate student dismissed from UB may enroll in the immediate summer or winter term following the term of their initial dismissal (enrollment in summer and winter terms following dismissal deferral is at the discretion of the Scholastic Standards Committee). Enrollment for any subsequent term not contiguous with the term after which a student was dismissed will only be permitted if the student applies for non-degree status, to which that application, is subject to review.
  • A non-degree seeking student may apply for admission to UB baccalaureate study. In that case, he or she shall have the UB courses taken in non-degree seeking status included in the assessment for admission on the same basis as if he or she were a transfer applicant. If the student is admitted to baccalaureate study, all UB courses taken in non-degree seeking status shall be included in the student’s program and considered UB courses for purposes of credits attempted and completed and grade point average.
  • International Students: Generally, non-degree seeking study is not allowed for international students unless they are currently in the U.S. and holding a temporary non-immigrant VISA that permits non-degree seeking study. Such non-U.S. citizens/non-Permanent Residents desiring to study in non-degree seeking status MUST use the International Undergraduate Application for Non-Degree Study (PDF). Additional criteria may be required for international students.
  • Millard Fillmore College: Students interested in enrolling in Millard Fillmore College courses should refer to the MFC website for more instructions and information.

Graduate Students

Students who hold a bachelor’s degree are permitted to register for graduate coursework as non-matriculated students for a maximum of 12 credit hours. Information concerning this opportunity may be obtained from the individual department. Once registration reaches 12 credit hours a hold will be placed on the student’s academic record by the Graduate School prohibiting further registration until the student matriculates into a graduate degree program. Additional policies and procedures for graduate students are available on the Graduate School website.

Step 5: Register for Classes

Registration for classes is easy! Simply log on to MyUB, click HUB Student Center, and click Enroll. Follow the steps to put courses in your shopping cart and register.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with critical registration dates and deadlines on the student calendar. Non-degree seeking students can register beginning March 1st for summer, August 1st for fall, October 1st for winter, and December 1st for spring semesters.

Last updated: September 10, 2018 4:52 pm EST